Thursday, March 25, 2010

First new band of the week


So all week I have been finding out about bands that are new to me left and right. Some good and some well lets just say that are not my cup of tea. I think this week has a few stand outs for me though. One being Broken Bells. Which for those not in the know(which was be up until this week) they are a band made up of The Shins front man and guitarist James Mercer and producer and artist Danger Mouse aka Brian Burton. Now at first I did not know what to expect. I know and love The Shins. Danger Mouse has done work that I liked in the form of his work with Gorillaz, Beck, and Gnarls Barkley. But they seemed the odd couple. However when I gave their work together a listen all doubts went out the window. They had something really special going on. The beats Burton cooked up mixed with the indie roots of Mercer just worked. Their is no other way to say it. It is just the kind of music I am finding myself drawn to these days. The indie/hip hop mix when done right is a combination on the level of peanut butter and jelly. Both are awesome on their own but when they come together its just something awesome but in a completely different way. And Broken Bells is one of those to get it right. There is a perfect balance to the sharp vocals of Mercer and the new school beats created my Burton. The track I found myself playing the most was one called The Ghost Inside. Its one of those songs you find yourself nodding to the beat. Meanwhile the vocals are the contrast that keeps the song in balance and really stand out. The melody wraps everything up real nice and just makes the song wholly enjoyable. If that is the first song you hear from them you will soon be looking to get more of their work. Trust me cause it happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment