Sunday, March 28, 2010

Second new band of the week

My music week has been amazing. I already told you about my new love of Broken Bells in the last post but now I want to talk about a band completely different from them. Now this band is considered a country/bluegrass band but I find that to be quite misleading. They do have country/bluegrass tones to their music but I would say that they have quite a bit of indie/alt influences. The band I am referring to is The Avett Brothers. A trio from rural North Carolina The Avett Brothers are exactly what I have been looking for in a world I did not know was missing something. I have never heard a bluegrass sound have so much energy behind it. The lyrics have a lot of emotion behind them and you can really hear that in the vocals. I have listened to bluegrass in the form of the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". Funny thing is, that movie came out in 2000 the same year The Avett Brothers formed. And why not that was some really good music. In fact I would say that if the Soggy Bottom Boys,the fictional band from the film, were making music today it would sound an awful lot like The Avett Brothers. To make my point I only need to refer to their song November Blue. A song of missed love with a nice pace to the tempo. Any band can make a sappy sad slow song. It really takes skill to put lyrics with that kind of feeling to music that is almost upbeat. Just a fantastic song. I know that it draws on emotions in my own life. Who does not miss someone. I know I do. It is that kind of ability to connect with their listener that I think really sets them apart. As always I hope that I have introduced you to something new that you will enjoy. I sure do. Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment