Friday, April 16, 2010

EPICNESS

I am really excited about the music I have been listening to this week. There are three bands that have really come to the front of the group. Washed Out, We Were Promised Jet Packs, and Los Campesinos!... It is kind of a lot of music but its all just really good so I have made a playlist with nothing but those bands on it. This week I have a job painting a house for a cousin of mine and its really good to have music to keep you going. With all the tediousness of painting edges and corners and making sure not to get paint on the carpets. It can really be a boring job. But with good music like this there is no risk of that! So where to being is the real question now.

How about with my favorite so far. Which would be Washed Out. So like most bands I post about I had never heard of Washed Out before this week. So when I checked them out I learned it is the music of one very talented guy from Georgia. Ernest Greene is his name and Washed Out is the name he performs under. His music is just outstanding. Right away I was really hooked by the simple beats and catchy synth effects. The voices are also very filtered to create an indie techorock sound that you cant help but get stuck on. Most songs are quite short but all are very different in their sounds which makes it very easy to listen to whole records. The song I am currently addicted to is called New Theory. I like the upbeat sound to most tracks, it to me is a welcomed change from the usually gloomy sound indie can get stuck in. While right now Washed Out is not a very mainstream artist he is getting critical praise. He performed at SXSW this year so I would look for Washed Out to be getting much bigger.

Second in this epic post is a band called We Were Promised Jetpacks. What a great name. I was immediately struck by that. So no matter what I was going to give them a listen. And thank God they are good. I would have been quite mad if such a good name was wasted on some wankers. So these guy are from Edinburgh, Scotland and you tell the minute you hear the singer Adam Thompson start up. A definite accent. So this is your quintessential indie rock band. Not in that they sounds like anyone else but in that they have a very emotional sound to them. With almost no synthetic sounds in any of their songs they are very much about big sounds. The drums seem to lead the music with the guitar battling for top spot. You will find your foot or fingers or whatever it is you tap but you will get into their songs. The track It's Thunder And It's Lightning is probably my favorite of theirs. The build up in this song is spectacular. By the time the song peaks your probably going to be playing an air instrument. I love a song with a huge build up.
So all that leave is Los Campesinos!. Another band from the British Isles. Los Campesinos! formed in Cardiff, Wales at Cardiff University. They are kind of a large band with seven members. While at times the songs can seem a bit overwhelming with everything going on more often they make it work and make some really great tracks. A perfect example is on the songs where they use both a female and male singer. They have a very upbeat sound about them. While no one instrument takes the lead you defiantly hear many sounds ranging form horns to violins to drums. The songs where they are at their best are the ones where all of the different instruments seem to just compliment all the others. On songs like You! Me! Dancing! this is very easy to understand and it is very easy to see why they are growing and playing to larger crowds all the time.

Well I hope you check out these bands and I hope you like them. If you have any suggestions for me I am ALWAYS looking for something new to listen to. Take it easy and happy listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment